Monday, March 19, 2007

24 f single

Of late there has just been this constant zoom-in on the fact that one my age to be married or heading that way. I'm not anywhere near getting married right now, and am quite OK with it most times. Everyone else seems way too concerned about my single status than I am. But more than the preoccupation by those I know, it seems that it what is expected but the broader community.


So i get back to Cape Town after being in the abroad for 10 months and the first thing people as is if I met someone over there.. umm..err.. NO.. sorry to disappoint you! Next they have this burning desire to find me a Mr. Right or Mr. Anybody so it seems.


Now my cousin feels its her duty to hook me up, and makes attempt to hook me up with someone I'm not remotely interested in, gives him my number, brings him to my home.. shame.. the guy is really sweet, but I cant help that nothing in him interests me.. not in the slightest.


Then I start this school to do a one year diploma and the majority of the class are fresh out of matric, and I sit next to this girl and she is asking me about what I've done and the rest. After telling her about my studies and travelling etc she goes on to say "Its a wonder you're not interested in getting married" .. to which I go off on a polite tangent telling her that one should not just marry for the sake of marriage..blah blah.. this could, if I took a deeper look at it, have been a reply on the defense. So clearly an 18 year old thinks a 24 year old should be married!


And now if that is not enough, this aunty who I get a lift home with from school has a 6 year old daughter that she picks up from school on our way home, the cutest little girl ever. Now at that age, it never seems inappropriate to ask anything.. so we pull up at my house and she says "are you going to get a lift with us everyday" to which I reply "I'm not sure, but maybe". She then says "Does aunty not have a husband?"

OK now this is enough to tell me that in the eyes of even little children, the accepted norm is for someone my age to be married. Should I be concerned? Should I be out searching for 'THE ONE' which according to another 'school of thought' will come when least expected and not looking! So what is the deal?


I always used to be so concerned about the whole marriage story. When I was younger, I used to say to myself that I wanted to be married by 25. I will be 25 in less than 3 weeks time. So clearly this is not going to happen. Why do we feel the need to go according to the clock set my societal expectations? With this said, I don't want to be married by 25! I don't feel all distraught by the fact that I am not in a relationship that should be headed to marriage.. This not saying that I don't want to get married, should it come my way, I would be most happy, but what bothers me is that it bothers others..


Now with my girl cousins on my mums side there are 6 of us that are 21 years old and over. 4 of which are married and have just had their first lot of babies, and the other one is about to get engaged.. and you ask where the pressure is coming from? Now having this doesn't help either.


So at one of these cousins' baby's name giving this Saturday, I once again had the questions of am I seeing anyone, do I have a boyfriend. Not that it phases me anymore..but it does concern me that people are feeling this sense of pity maybe? And maybe this is why there is this constant attempt to find someone for the 'poor single girl'


Then what got my blood boiling this morning was an sms from my cousin, yup, the same one who tried hooking me up with the guy I'm not interested in. The sms read as follows: Do you want to be involved in a Muslim match making group, My friend mailed me and asked me if i have single girl cousins. And he wants to add them to the database because their are quite a few guys involved already. If you are interested you must give details of the type of guy/qualities you want. But also sport and other interests. So, if you interested let me know. And be specific. I will send your details to him and then they arrange it.


Now are single people special needs kids? I mean one jokes around and says "Don't you have nice guy friends for me.." or to hooked up friends " Does he (their bf) have cute single cousins" .. but really now!! I was quite offended/insulted by that sms, and hence the post.


Ya OK, some people say, give anything a chance and you don't have to marry them or you don't have to even go out with them. Are these people joining 'the database' to even get to know the person, or is just the last desperate attempt to get married.


I just said to a friend of mine, after telling her about this sms, that I'm not that desperate... come to think of it.. I'm not desperate at all, and yes that may seem like the superficial answer of someone that hasn't given this a thought and maybe a closed minded approach to the offer.. but I do know what I want. And should I come to the end of my line, where I feel that just being is not getting me to a point I want to be then maybe..just maybe I would consider 'help'. But right now, as I stand, its not something that I feel has any degree of urgency. Not like I've been in and out of relationships, not like I've been wanting to get married for years.. for goodness sake.. im a 24 year old single female.. what is so wrong with that!!???

I'l just carry on in my merry way.. and let the rest of the world worry about my singledom.



That's all I have to say for now.. I may add a Chapter 2 to all of this.

15 comments:

SouthAfrica said...

The good thing about staying in Cape Town is that it's always nice to be on the flight to Cape Town...unless apparently if you've got a family who are plaguing you about marriage! My Mom used to be the same, but she eventually quietened down.

Hasina Suliman said...

kewt pic!
mine changes every year :P

SingleGuy said...

Hey, Nice Blog....followed the link over from Lady's page.

You're obviously not interested in a set-up, but that does not mean you're not interested right? I want to know, what makes a woman interested?

I've been involved in a relationship that was a partial setup, although she does not know that. I was told about her, but she was not told about me, I met her 7 months later, and then started calling her because I was quite taken by the person she was. The person that told me about her was convinced though that she would not go for a set-up, thinking that it would be too forced.

What is it about a set-up that is so detestable? And How does the other party make a the girl interested if she is already preprogrammed to be against it?

Nice pic BTW. No, it's not a come-on, I genuinely think it's a nice pic!

Pseudo_Name said...

Heya :)

Danke Lady.. dont think i'll ever settle cos of the need to just get married. :)

Single Guy.. before I reply.. just want you to know that u are my blog soap opera.. i check ur blog (clickable from Lady aswell) regularly for the chick update ;).. so did she meet that other guy yet :P~

What makes a women interested I guess is the guy noticing her..and not noticing her cos someone else pointed her out.. and ok fair enough, to this you will say.. how is he to know she is there if not pointed out.. well i guess its the fact that she knows she was pointed out :/

And I totally agree with the 'too forced' feeling. This guy I mentioned.. now you see.. he liked me but I didnt even notice him, so my cousin arranged that we all go out together, now had she not told me that this is what he wanted then maybe things would have been a bit more spontaneous, but just the meer fact that I knew, and also maybe he knew I knew made it all awkward (dont get me wrong - if i saw in this bloke anything remotely attractive -nope i speak not only of physical- then i would never pass it up due to the 'setting up' factor)

I guess its a bit ..hmmm.. i dont know.. insulting that one needs to be 'set up' and its merely our western mindset that bring us to this conclusion of 'shame he must be desperate if he cant find a girl on his own' And as much as it is pre-programmed that one is a bit put off by the whole setting up senario, if the guy is not half bad, then its only spiting oneself in not giving it a shot.. (ok..ok.. you've made me think ;) - but still no database entering for me)

Thanks, didnt think it was a come on.. you're attached anyway..so it would mean nothing :P .. im on to you remember..:) but hey.. if she likes that other guy.. u know where to click to get hold of me.. LoL.. JUST KIDDING ;)

Anonymous said...

nogal moi on the bigger screen

Anonymous said...

I think knowing that you're in a situation to be set up for marriage/going out is VERY uncomfortable....
I don't want to go through that again..EVER!
And yes, I don't understand why people who don't know you, meet you for the first time, will ask that question, "are you married?" or "do you have someone?"

Like it's any of their business.
I just smile and avoid the topic..change the subject or just plain outright ignore them and walk away :P So rude hey :)

Anonymous said...

Pragtige meisie :P

safiyyamk said...

nice blog... a girl being over 21, not married and indian calls for a set-up (typical of every indian dadi and nani ppl)... its the way ppl think that if a girl is over age- she's sitting on the shelf collecting dust and she wont find a guy because guys want younger girls- why? to mould them? it shouldnt be that way- a guy should love you for you and the person you are...

im not against set ups- sometimes it clicks and sometimes it doesnt- thats the way life works... the interesting part in a set up is when both the guy and girl dont know they are being set up :) good luck....

Hasina Suliman said...

Ermm... i meant the 'insert valentine' pic :D
my valentine changes every yr :$
i like YOUR pic too :)
you're so much prettier in 3-D tho :)

Anonymous said...

guys should love a woman for who she is, but it works the othe way around too.

prince said...

lucky im only 20,check this page in 4yrs time for a legitimate comment

deadcrab said...

Shhhh.....wait...whats that I hear?? ....*tick* *tock* :P

bb_aisha said...

Like u,i spent last yr out of the country,askd did i meet anybody there,grilld by family,as all female cousins over 18 r married.i recently turnd 25 too.unlike u,i wud like 2get married-mostly islamic reasns.been meanin 2 blog bout this 4ages,must do it nw-but like u, i def wont just settle.

Major_chip_hazard said...

Reading this post and the comments therafter has given me a lot of food 4 thought.Im a guy and get the same story from the likes of the granny and aunts alike(I think they just bloody like weddings).

Good things come to those who wait....now to accept and believe!

Nielfa Hanifa said...

I went to a Marc Lottering show once... and he starts off by saying; "It's almost Christmas, almost Christmas." Given that it actually was almost Christmas, he added that; "People starting saying things like this when they have F*%%*L else to say."

For my point: I am married but I do know what it's like to be hounded when you're single and not desperate for your knight in shining armour to make his appearance. You'd probably be very pre-occupied to notice if he shows up anyway, because you've got so many others things to be busy with. Now I am married and was happy that the hounding's over and that I'm not on that radar anymore.

Alas, now people have started nagging about when you going to start having kids. I have one somewhat distant friend and whenever we get into contact, her first question will always be something like; "No buns in the oven?" My reaction: "No, I don't think I decided to bake anything but I am reading a good book and my husband and I are looking to buy a house." *Hint Hint* Not so subtle change of topic.

So I've come to the realisation and it might seem crude... When folks ask questions like; "When are you getting married?" or "Are you seeing anyone?" and "No babies yet?" that they have F*%%*L else to say.